Verbal ability is an important section of most of the competitive exams. It contains different types of questions which are intended to judge abilities in word power, sentence correction, spotting-errors-2 and verbal reasoning.
So, to score good marks in verbal ability, the candidates need to have a good vocabulary and a strong command of English like in-depth knowledge of grammar, adjectives, tenses, articles and more.
Let us see, understand and practice the most important verbal ability topics or chapters with most frequently asked verbal ability solved questions.
Table of Contents
1) Spotting Errors
- It is difficult
- for anyone
- to ran on a slippery surface
- no error
'Ran' should be replaced with 'run', as 'to' is followed by the first form of a verb, e.g., it is difficult for anyone to run on a slippery surface.
1) Choose one of the following options that means the opposite of the given word; Copious:
Copious means abundance or plentiful, so its antonym is scarce.
Brief means short, concise, etc.
5) Selecting Words
1) She lived ____ the expectations.
- as per
- up to
Explanation: up to
6) Spotting Errors
1) 1.not 2.Maria 3.run 4.did 5.away
Explanation: Maria did not run away
7) Ordering of Words
1) A month after colleges opened......
A. 35% seats reserved under OBC
B. in private colleges
C. for the next academic year
D. remain vacant
A month after colleges opened for the next academic year 35% seats reserved under OBC remain vacant in private colleges.
8) Sentence Correction
1) He was very tired as he is working since 6 O' clock in the morning.
- he was working
- he had been working
- he has been working
- he will be working
He was very tired as he has been working since 6 O' clock in the morning.
9) Ordering of Sentences
Rishikesh is a beautiful hill station located beside the Himalayas
P: There are many ancient temples
Q: in the North of India
R: along the banks of the sacred river the Ganges
S: that flows through the city.
Furthermore, the city is also known for many famous yoga ashrams.
Rishikesh is a beautiful hill station located beside the Himalayas in the North of India. There are many ancient temples along the banks of the sacred river Ganges that flows through the city. Furthermore, the city is also known for many famous yoga ashrams.
10) Ordering of Sentences
1. Maria reached office at 10 O' clock after sending the money.
2. Maria's parents needed some money.
3. After that, she spent almost half an hour at the Post Office.
4. So, she went to bank to withdraw some money.
5. However, she had no money with her.
Which of the following should come third in the paragraph?
Maria's parents needed some money. However, she had not money with her. So, she went to bank to withdraw some money. After that, she spent almost half an hour at the Post Office. Maria reached office at 10 O' clock after sending the money.
11) Closet Test
Today, doing business is not easy for businessmen, as they are not used to competition. In the past they were selling whatever .....(1)......produced and at their desired price. But, 2... the competition has increased over the years, customers started to ....3.....and choose. Imports have become.....4....available and that too at cheaper .......5...........
1. Solve as per the direction given above
2. Solve as per the direction given above
3. Solve as per the direction given above
4. Solve as per the direction given above
5. Solve as per the direction given above
Harry who is a professional had a fearful dream. He found himself in a land where he saw some slug-like animals with tentacles living on human bodies. The people tolerated these creatures because after many years they would grow into bulls which then be used for transportation. Harry noticed that he himself was covered with these creatures and he woke up screaming.
Question 1: In the dream, Harry found the creatures
- in his office
- in a different land
- in his kitchen
- in a different planet
Question 2: what did the creatures look like?
- slug-like animals with horns
- insects with wings
- insects with tentacles
- slug-like animals with tentacles
Question 3: Harry's dream was fearful because
- It brought him face to face with elephants
- He found himself on a land full of snakes
- He forgets the way home
- He saw creatures feeding on human bodies
Question 4: The creatures will grow into bulls which then will be used for
Question 5: Harry woke up
13) One Word Substitutes
1) A person who travels on foot.
- health conscious
Explanation: Pedestrian is a person who travels on foot, i.e., one who prefers to walk over traveling by a vehicle.
14) Idioms and Phrases
1) To cry wolf
- to speak loudly
- to eat like a wolf
- to get afraid
- to give a false alarm
Explanation: Tom cannot be trusted as he always cries wolf.
15) Change of Voice
1) Her selection in the crew surprised Peter.
- Her selection in the crew was a big surprise.
- Peter was surprised at her selection in the crew.
- Her selection was a surprise.
- Peter was surprised at her selection of the crew.
16) Change of Speech
1) They said, "We have lived in this city for many years."
- They said they have lived in this city for many years.
- They said that they had lived in this city for many years.
- They said they lived in this city for many years.
- They said they have been living in this city for many years.
17) Verbal Analogies
1) Liquid: Liter
- Hot: Cold
- Weight: Kilogram
- Movie: Entertainment
- Winter: Cold
Explanation: Liter is the unit for measuring liquid. Similarly, Kilogram is the unit for measuring weight.
1) ....... Indus River is the longest river in India.
- None of the above
Explanation: Article 'the' is used before the names of rivers, mountains, etc.
1) They walked ....... the edge of the land.
- up to
- as far as
- Either A or B
Explanation: While talking about distance, both up to and as far as can be used.
1) On looking at the cloudless sky, Peter said, "It won't rain today."
Explanation: 'Cloudless' is the adjective as it describes the noun 'sky'