What is Bootstrap
- It is absolutely free to download and use.
- It is a front-end framework used for easier and faster web development.
- It includes HTML and CSS based design templates for typography, forms, buttons, tables, navigation, modals, image carousels and many others.
- It facilitates you to create responsive designs.
History of Bootstrap
Bootstrap was developed by Mark Otto and Jacob Thornton at Twitter.It was released as an open source product in August 2011 on GitHub.
In June 2014 Bootstrap was the No.1 project on GitHub.
Why use Bootstrap
Following are the main advantage of Bootstrap:
- It is very easy to use. Anybody having basic knowledge of HTML and CSS can use Bootstrap.
- It facilitates users to develop a responsive website.
- It is compatible on most of browsers like Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Safari and Opera etc.
What is a responsive website
A website is called responsive website which can automatically adjust itself to look good on all devices, from smart phones to desktops etc.
What Bootstrap package contains
Scaffolding: Bootstrap provides a basic structure with Grid System, link styles, and background.
CSS: Bootstrap comes with the feature of global CSS settings, fundamental HTML elements style and an advanced grid system.
Components: Bootstrap contains a lot of reusable components built to provide iconography, dropdowns, navigation, alerts, pop-overs, and much more.
Customize: Bootstrap components are customizable and you can customize Bootstrap's components, LESS variables, and jQuery plugins to get your own style.
What is Bootstrap 4?
Bootstrap 3 vs. Bootstrap 4
Bootstrap 4 has some new components, faster stylesheet, more buttons, effects and more responsiveness.
Bootstrap 4 supports some the latest, stable releases of all major browsers and platforms.
Note: Internet Explorer 9 and down is not supported by Bootstrap 4. Although Internet Explorer 8-9 supported Bootstrap 3. So, if you have Internet Explorer 8-9, you should use Bootstrap 3. Bootstrap 3 is the most stable version of Bootstrap, and it is still supported by the team for critical bugfixes and documentation changes.
Is Bootstrap Best?
Bootstrap is more than efficient to create a responsive and mobile first website but it is not the best in the industry. There is an alternative of Bootstrap named W3.CSS which is smaller, faster, and easier to use.